Last week we were watching cupcake wars and the kiddos wanted to have our own cupcake battle. Of course I was game. So we went through the pantry and found yellow cake mix. Score.
Then the kids were going through everything trying to come up with a fun flavor for our cupcakes. The box of fruit loops was agreed among the 3. I thought they were kind of crazy, until I googled it to see if fruit loop cupcakes were a thing…and they WERE! So I went through a bunch of recipes and jotted down some ingredients and then we created our own unique fruit loop cupcakes.
These fruit loopy, marshmallow topped, oil infused cupcakes are melt in your mouth delicious and worth every bite. If you do not have essential oils at home you can skip it or use juice from a lemon and lime..it just will not be as dominate in the flavors. **If you would like you purchase oils you can go to www. mydoterra. com/jessicabures (just remove the two spaces)
**(I am addicted to essential oils, but I am going to warn you. There are only certain brands that are meant to be ingested. Not every oil is PURE like the labels say so please make sure you read the fine print on the back of the bottles before you ingest anything. I found this out the hard way.
Now I only use doTERRA and so many of my friends wanted to get oils that it turned into a little side business, so if you are interested in getting oils you can go to www. mydoterra .com/jessicabures (remove spaces) id# 2063015 and pick some up…most people start with the Natural solutions package and sign up for a wholesale membership (not preferred..preferred members only get 20% off purchases, wholesale gets 25%!! plus there are more perks with the wholesale account).
If you have questions about what to get please reach out to me so I can walk you through the steps and answer any of your oil questions. I have done a lot of research and love sharing my knowledge with anyone interested in learning!)**
So without further ado lets get to baking! You will be addicted to these fruit loop cupcakes and the kids will love helping you decorate the tops!
- 1 box yellow cake mix (eggs and oil as per box instructions)
- 4 drops doTERRA Lemon oil (read above how to get this)
- 3 drops doTERRA Lime oil
- Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting
- 2 sticks butter softened
- 4 cups powder sugar
- 1 13oz jar marshmallow fluff
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 2 drops doTERRA Wild Orange oil (optional)
- 1 1/2 cup Fruit Loop cereal
- Prepare cake mix as per box instructions. Add essential oils and mix.
- Bake cupcakes according to box.
- To prepare frosting: Let butter soften to room temp. Do not microwave to soften, it separates the fat cells and can change the texture of the frosting.
- Beat butter, essential oils, extract. Blend until whipped.
- Slowly add powder sugar a cup at a time and continue mixing.
- Add the marshmallow fluff and continue mixing on low/med speed. This step is super sticky! If your end result is to stiff you can add a tsp of milk at a time until the texture is to your sanctification. Likewise if it is too soft you can add powder sugar until the texture is perfect.
- Pipe onto cupcakes.In a zip lock baggy place a cup of fruit loops and smash. Sprinkle onto of the frosting. Add a few whole fruit loops on top as well. The kids have so much fun with the cake toppers.
They turned out so stinking cute and yummy. I had my doubts I would like these but they are a new favorite in my home. I have a feeling these fruit loop treats are going to be made quite often!
Are there any weird cupcakes you have tried that you ended up loving? I remember a few years ago I was begged to try a maple bacon cupcake and even though I love bacon and maple, I thought I was going to gag.
Needless to say I was hooked. They are my all time go to cupcake now. These are going to be my runners up, although the kids have already staked a claim to these being number 1 in their books! I mean, they ate the whole batch in less than two days!!
Enjoy! Do you know a mom with a fruit loop loving child? Or has a class snack coming up? Make sure you share this recipe with them so they can be the coolest mom in class!