Ok, I have a secret. I do not like bread and butter pickles.
Yep, the store bought bread and butter….I cannot eat them at all. They have a weird flavor, especially when you are use to home made pickles. SOOO much better! Tricked ya!!
This recipe came from my Aunt who is the queen of canning and gardening. She brought me tons of cucumbers from the garden and I knew I had to make a fresh batch of pickles for my family. These are gone in a matter of days once they are finished setting up over night!
1.If you have a glass gallon jar..use it. If not grab any 1 gallon jar to mix and keep these in.
2. Shove as many cucumbers in the jar as possible. After a few hours in the fridge and they start to shrink you can add more!
3. Find step by step photos of me making the pickles HERE.
- 1 Gallon Sliced cucumbers
- 6 medium onions
- 1/4 cup canning salt
- 1 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp mustard seed
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 1 tsp dry mustard (ground)
- 3 cups sugar
- Slice cucumbers and onions.
- Mix cucumbers and onions in a 1 gallon jar.
- In a separate bowl mix all of the dry ingredients.
- Add the white vinegar and stir until sugar is dissolved. (do not heat, just stir for a few minutes)
- Pour over cucumbers.
- Refrigerate over night. Store 6-8 weeks or longer.