Welcome to part 2 of “How to Start a DIY blog”!! This section walks you through setting up a hosting platform. I suggest starting from Part 1 and reading it first. It covers 5 of the 7 steps to starting a blog!
*This post contains affiliate links. It is no cost to you, but if you decide to purchase from my links I earn a small commission to help run this blog. I want to thank you in advance for your support!
How to set up a hosting plan and install software:
This is one of the easiest steps and one that a lot of people get hung up on. All of the technical mambo jumbo can get confusing, but I am going to make this super easy for you! I am going to walk you through step by step how to start a blog starting with how to set up a hosting plan with *BlueHost. It is one of the easiest platforms, the most secure and what millions of bloggers turn to for their amazing customer support and secure system.
Click *HERE and open my affiliate link to BlueHost screen so you can follow along. If you use this link you may get extra perks for signing up! Score!
1. You will be directed to this page. Click “get started now”.
2. Next you will be taken to this screen. You can pick which package is best for you. I started with the smallest one and it was perfect. Once your blog grows you can always upgrade, unless you are running it more like a business than you may want a bigger package to start with. (feel free to email me if you have a question about this!)
3. If you read Part 1 then you already have a domain name (what you will name your blog) picked out. Enter what you have chosen in the “new domain” section. Or, if you already purchased a domain, enter it in the “transfer domain” section.
Some people think buying your domain from another source adds an extra layer of security. I purchased mine at the same time and have had no issues. It’s really just a personal preference, but buying it from another source does make it a bit more complicated to set up from what I have been told.
4. Enter your account information.
5. Continue with your package information. If you choose 36 months you will get the best deal. But you can pay for 12 months instead. You will have to pay for your hosting upfront. They do this to offer you the best prices.
They have a few other options you can choose from here too. They are up to you. I did the privacy protection when I started and when I just renewed I added on the search engine jump start, but I don’t think that I would have really used it when I first started. Then enter your billing information.
6. Congratulations! You officially have a Bluehost account! Go ahead and do a little funky chicken dance. I’ll wait!
Ok, now pick out a password. Make your password really hard to crack, but don’t forget to write it down somewhere so you do not forget it!
8. When you log in you will see this screen. Feel free to close it because I am going to continue to walk you through your set up.
9. In the image below you see that it is highlighting “hosting” if you go to the “home” screen you will see “install wordpress” at the bottom of the screen. First thing first, we need to install wordpress. Click “install wordpress” at the bottom of the screen.
10. Click “install”/ “start”.
11. In the drop down form select your domain name and click “check domain”.
12. Now its time to name your wordpress site. (You can always change it later.) Create your username and password to log into your wordpress account. Write these down somewhere too! Then finish the install.
13. Then check your MOJO marketplace email. This is a very important email so make sure you print a copy or save a copy somewhere. It has all of your log in information for everything you just did!
14. From the email above click on Admin URL. You will be taken to this screen to log into your wordpress site.
15. Once you log in you will be directed to your wordpress dashboard. Isn’t it pretty! This is your lifeline to blogging right here. There is a lot of stuff you can do here and it may look confusing, but just take some time and go through it.
Next I am going to show you how to set up your theme! The theme is what gives your blog a visual appeal to your readers. You can pick pretty colors, functions, sidebar options and so on.
Customize and Design Your Blog- Make it pretty!
There are so many options when it comes to designing your blog. You can use free themes from wordpress, and I did for a long time. But the only downfall is that you really don’t have a lot of options to customize it and someone out there will have the same theme as you. Trust me, I know 3 other bloggers who had my theme and we all ran in the same blogging circles. If you want to be unique and have a kick ass one of a kind blog, then follow these next few steps!
I may be a blogger, but I am not so great with coding and all that jazz. If you are like me then you want to get Genesis Framework. It gives you the building blocks of designing a blog without all of the high tech nonsense.
Then to make it pretty you want to install a child theme. My personal fave for girl bloggers is Restored 316 designs.
Lauren who runs the site knows how to bring it. She just radiates beauty in all of her designs. When you are on the site you can click on each design and “view live demo” within it to see how it will look and play with the colors and so on. She has the best designs I have found, and is super great to work with! They all have so many features and are perfect for any untechy person like me!
But if for some reason you don’t find a design on her site you can always get a theme from Studio Press and purchase it with your framework.
So there you have it. You now know way more than I did when I started my blog. You know how to start a diy blog, how to set up a bluehost account and choose your theme! If you have any other questions please feel free to leave them in the comments below! I am happy to help anyone get started.
Now that you know how to set up your blog and have your theme installed its time to have some fun! Don’t get overwhelmed and just take it one step at a time.
Step 3 is a weekly action packed FREE E-Course to help you focus on growing your blog one section at a time! Sign up HERE and get ready to take your blog to the next level. Learn how to grow your blog traffic, build a profitable email list, promote your blog posts efficiently, what resources to use and much much more in this 7 day course!