I could eat anything with sauce on a daily basis. Homemade sauce, noodles, cheese…yum! It is just too hard to say no to saucy goodness.
Last week I made these easy chicken manicattoi’s and they turned out beautifully. They are really quick to make and when I have left over sauce in the freezer it only takes 15 minutes to toss them together.
Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
Boil your noodles and then rinse with cold water to keep them from sticking. I get all fancy like and lay them on cheese cloth individually to work with one at a time.
While the water is boiling cook chicken in a pan. Either dice or shred it. Preference is yours.
Then in a bowl mix the drained spinach, 1 cup of shredded cheese, Parmesan cheese, 15oz ricotta cheese, all of the spices, chicken, and lightly beaten egg.
After you mixture is ready to fill your noodles you can do one of two things. Pick each one up and fill them using the back of a spoon or with a piping bag. I like using the piping bag because it tends to go a lot quicker and I rip less shells. #procook right here!
The easiest way to use the piping bag is to put it in a cup and then fill it up. Remove it from the cup and snip the end to just under the size of the shell. Squeeze it in from one side of the shell and fill it until center. Then flip the shell and fill the other half of the shell. Doing this really helps to keep the noodle in tact. If you go to fast it is easy to rip the noodle.
Line a 9×13 pan with 1 cup of sauce. This will prevent the noodles from sticking to the pan. Lay the filled noodles in the pan and then cover with the remaining 2 cups of sauce.
Sprinkle the extra cheese over the tops and bake for 30 minutes. Now because I super duper love cheese I end up adding more from a second bag. It is not necessary but it makes for some cheesy goodness.
Looking at all of the photos is making me hungry for these AGAIN! Feel free to share the recipe and spread the cheesy joy all over the web. Just saying :)
- Manicotti noodles
- 1 container ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan noodles
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (divided)
- 2 cups shredded or cubed chicken
- 1 cup spinach
- 3 cups pasta sauce (divided)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- dash of salt of preferred
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- 2. Cook noodles according to package. Once finished run under cold water to prevent sticking together.
- 3. Mix all ingredients minus the sauce and 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- 4. In a 9x13 baking pan spread about 1 cups of the sauce across the bottom. This will prevent the noodles from sticking to the pan.
- 5. Fill the shells up stuffing them. I used about 10 from the package of 14. You can either use the back of a spoon to fill the shells or a piping bag like shown above.
- 6. Pour remaining sauce over the shells. Sprinkle remaining 1 cup of cheese.
- 7. Bake for 30 minutes until the sauce is bubbling.